Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Recap

Coming off a historical election where we have elected our first african-american president, I cannot help but feel a bit proud of our nation.  Not for the reasons some may be expecting, but because we are still one of the only nations in this world where one may move up through life and dream to become more than what they are.  Obama displayed that characteristic.  He moved up from supposedly meager means, went to a prestigious university and here we are today with Barak Obama the president elect of this great nation.


Unlike some, I have always been proud of my country and am still proud of our nation today.  We had a historic election (whichever party would have won would have been historic).  We have a peaceful transfer of power.  Despite our differences as of today, we can still be outspoken in our criticism and differences, but will come together when the going gets tough and will move to protect our nation.

At least that is what I hope we will have.  Like most, I've heard the stories (though not through the mainstream media) about Obama's associations, with the people he surrounds himself with and those who are drawn to him.  I've seen the questions that have arisen about his economic policies.  I've seen his position on abortion and other controversial subjects.  


While I may disagree with most of those positions, unlike what we’ve seen the past eight years, I will support him as my president.  While I may question his judgment, his policies and his direction, I will work with him to make sure we have a nation that stays the greatest nation on earth.  I truly hope that in 4 years I can look back and say, “Boy was I wrong about Obama.” 


As a business owner, I will work hard to make my business grow and prosper and while there may be some changes that will make that a bit more difficult, as an American and in the American spirit, I will continue to work hard to succeed.  I will not be standing around waiting for handouts or bemoaning my troubles or worrying about and hoping for change, I will be working hard to make this nation, my business and my family, grow and prosper.  Oh if we would have had more of that these past eight years.


I will be holding Obama to his promises and I will be expecting him to work for the betterment of this country.  Not for the betterment of the Democratic Party, not for the betterment of those friends of the left around the world, not for the betterment of those angry liberals who seem to think we owe them something.  Nope not for any of those, but only for the betterment of this great country.  If he does that, he may just succeed at being a good president.  I will be as should we all be watching him and the congress very closely.  We should not be swayed by a silver tongue, for sweet talking or empty slogans.  We should look at his actions and look at the results and then in four years decide where we stand.


This blog will be my vehicle to document my feelings and thoughts on how Obama is doing, how Congress is fairing and my thoughts and opinions on how they could be doing better.  Yep I’m a conservative Christian and will be speaking from that point of view.  So if that offends or you don’t wish to hear that side of things, well then this is not the place for you.  I however invite both sides to read my posts and comment in the spirit of not proving one side or the other, but to make this nation even better.  Please treat me and my opinions with respect and I will do the same of yours.  I will not hold back on my opinions or ideals so expect to disagree with me and you can even call me nuts…but that’s ok most of us are friends and family, most likely we are all Americans and have the same goals in mind.  This should be fun.


I’ll be praying for Obama every day that he will have wisdom and insight to lead this great nation on the path that God has laid out before us.  God bless those in leadrship and God bless the United States of America.

No comments: